Valentine’s Day is always special and a time to share a romantic day or evening with your sweetie. With that special day falling on a weekend this year, wineries all around California are opening their doors for special events.
In San Benito County, one of their most famous wineries, Leal Vineyards, has a special Valentine’s Day tasting called “For the LOVE of WINE and CHOCOLATE”. On Sunday, February 14 from noon to 4:00 p.m. they will be serving select chocolates by Marich Confectionery and barrel tasting of their 2002 Tawny Port and more.
Monterey County’s River Road Wine Trail will hold their “Valentine’s Passport” event on Saturday, February 14 from 11 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. The River Road Wine Trail winds along River Road and Foothill Road south of Salinas and along the Santa Lucia bench. You will have a great country drive, with views of the verdant Salinas Valley, while stopping to visit any of the 12 wineries along the Wine Trail.
At this sweetheart of all wine tastings, you will visit many fine wineries that will feature rare vintages, music, food and celebration of all things amour. As a Passport-carrying V.I.P., you will receive a souvenir glass, a gift of sweets, entry into a grand drawing and special discounts. Tickets are only $25.
Participating wineries in the Valentine’s Passport are:
- Paraiso Vineyards – Producing artisan wines from Santa Lucia Highlands, particularly award winning Pinot Noir and Chardonnay.
- Hahn Estates – High atop Santa Lucia Highlands where you can share spectacular views while sipping some spectacular wines.
- Pessagno Winery – Exceptional award-winning wines that consistently score 90+ points.
- Marilyn Remark Winery – A family-operated boutique winery specializing in premier Rhone-style wines.
- Scheid Vineyards – A major grower of wine grapes in the county with vineyards covering a span of 70 miles throughout Salinas Valley.
- Ventana Wines – Located in Arroyo Seco and one of the older vineyards in the valley. All of their wines are Estate grown from their single vineyard, the most award-winning single vineyard in America
- Chalone Vineyard – Perched 1,800 feet high above the Salinas Valley on the Gavilan Mountain Range, bordering Pinnacles National Monument, Chalone Vineyard has the same limestone bases soils as Burgundy in France. The result is an exceptional Chardonnay.
- Manzoni Estate Vineyard – A small estate in the heart of Santa Lucia Highlands, producing exceptional Chardonnay and Pinot Noir.
- San Saba Vineyards – Located in Soledad, and recently purchased by the Thomas family and now producing wines under the Wrath label.
- Blackstone Winery – This Gonzales tasting room carries a wide selection of Blackstone Wines.
- Boekenoogen Vineyard and Winery – Nestled atop the foothills in the heart of Santa Lucia Highlands, this family winery produces some fine Chardonnay, Pinot Noir and Syrah.
- Puma Road Winery – Located in Santa Lucia Highlands, this winery is normally open only by appointment.