Santa Clara Valley wineries and vineyards came home with several awards from the recent 2016 San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition, picking up 89 awards for the 17 wineries that submitted wines for the competition. Santa Clara Valley has a long history of winemaking but many of the wineries have come into existence in the last 20 years. The wineries range from large wineries to small family operated and owned wineries.
The 2016 San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition is the largest competition of American wines and this year included a record breaking 7,162 entries from around the nation and judged by 65 prominent wine judges from around the world. The competition is always fierce and as the number of entries grow, it becomes tougher.
J. Lohr and Kirigin Cellars brought home Best of Class awards, but other wineries winning Double Gold.
Best of Class
- J. Lohr Estates 2013 South Ridge Syrah
- J. Lohr Gesture 2014 Grenache Rose
- J. Lohr Gesture 2014 Viognier
- Kirigin Cellars 2012 Tempranillo
- Castillo’s Hillside Shire Winery 2013 Petit Verdot
- J. Lohr Estates 2013 Los Osos Merlot
- Satori Cellars 2013 Harmonic Convergence Petite Sirah
In addition, Santa Clara Valley winemakers brought home a total of 18 Gold, 36 Silver and 28 Bronze awards. Congratulations to those award-winning winemakers in this diverse wine region in the South Bay Area.
- Castillo’s Hillside Shire Winery – 1 Double Gold, 1 Gold, 3 Silver, 1 Bronze
- Creekview Vineyards – 1 Gold, 1 Silver, 2 Bronze
- Fernwood Cellars – 2 Gold
- Fortino Cellars – 2 Silver, 2 Bronze
- Guglielmo Winery – 1 Bronze
- J. Lohr Winery – 3 Best of Class, 1 Double Gold, 5 Gold, 6 Silver, 3 Bronze
- Jason-Stephens Winery – 2 Silver, 2 Bronze
- Kirigin Cellars – 1 Best of Class, 3 Gold, 3 Silver, 1 Bronze
- Lion Ranch Vineyards & Winery – 3 Bronze
- Mann Cellars – 1 Bronze
- Martin Ranch Winery – 1 Gold, 10 Silver, 4 Bronze
- Picchetti Winery - 1 Bronze
- Russian Ridge Winery – 1 Silver
- Satori Cellars – 1 Double Gold, 3 Gold, 1 Silver, 3 Bronze
- Solis Winery – 2 Gold, 2 Silver, 2 Bronze
- Sunlit Oaks Winery – 1 Bronze
- West Cliff Wines – 1 Silver, 2 Bronze
The public is invited to the Public Tasting to be held at Fort Mason Center in San Francisco on Saturday, February 13th at 1:30 – 5 p.m.
For more information:
- San Francisco Chronicle 2016 Wine Competition
- Wineries of Santa Clara Valley